Building a comprehensive Fatigue Risk Management System with Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines is the world’s largest low cost carrier. Their 8,000 pilots operate nearly 4,000 flights per day during peak travel season to 98 destinations within the continental United States and to near international locations. Across a 24-month project, Clockwork Research has worked closely with the Southwest Airlines Flight Operations Safety Department to implement a system-wide FRMS for the airline.
Components of the Southwest Airlines FRMS
The Southwest Airlines FRMS project has included a range of activities:
- the first ever comprehensive fatigue survey of pilots at a US-based airline
- the development of an effective fatigue reporting system
- systematic and wide-spread data collection
- FRMS promotion including the design of online training material, and
- FRMS assurance processes.