Building an FRMS
What is an FRMS?
An FRMS is ‘a data-driven means of continuously monitoring and maintaining fatigue related safety risks, based upon scientific principles and knowledge as well as operational experience that aims to ensure relevant personnel are performing at adequate levels of alertness’ (ICAO doc 9966 Management for the Oversight of Fatigue Management Approaches). As shown in figure 1 below, an FRMS is headed up by a policy, informed by an employee fatigue reporting system, and underpinned by communication and training. Fatigue risks are addressed, tracked using Safety Performance Indicators (SPIs), and embedded in safety assurance processes.
Building and powering up your FRMS
Working in close collaboration with your organisation, we will develop an FRMS that is appropriate and proportional to your level of fatigue risk and is informed by scientific data. We will help you to implement methods for Proactive, Predictive and Reactive data collection, which may include using established bio-mathematical models such as SAFTE-FAST to predict schedule-related fatigue. We assist with building your system and generating competence and staff engagement with it through the development and implementation of key processes, tools and training including:
- Fatigue policy
- Data collection e.g. surveys, focus groups, bio-mathematical modelling
- Fatigue hazard identification and risk register
- Fatigue metrics and safety performance indicator (SPI) dashboard for tracking fatigue risk exposure
- Fatigue reporting process and tools
- Training to enable investigators to consistently explore the role of fatigue in incidents
- Training programmes for crew, schedulers, safety team and senior management
- Safety assurance
How do I know if this service is right for me?
We can help you with your FRMS irrespective of your current position:
- Just starting out and recognise that you need to do more to manage fatigue risk, but don’t know where to start?
- Have existing fatigue risk management processes and procedures, but think they could be more effective?
- Looking for FRMS approval from your regulator, so that you can apply for a deviation from specific flight time limitations?
Clockwork helps operators implement all the elements of a FRMS, ensuring that the processes, procedures and mitigations are proportional to the risks encountered in your operation. Our Fatigue Risk Management Diagnostic helps you to identify the current position and performance of your FRMS.
Who do we work with?
We support FRMS development and implementation across safety-critical industries including:
- Commercial Air Transport
- Air Taxi Operators
- Air Traffic Service Providers
- Helicopter operations
- Bus, Train & Tram Operators