Developing Competence to Manage Fatigue Risk
FRM Competence Development and Mentoring Service
We conduct a Training Needs Analysis (TNA) prior to designing an individual or group competence development plan. The competence development plan usually comprises a combination of one-to-one mentoring sessions as well as recommendations for formal training courses.
Key areas of Focus
The area of focus for the mentoring service very much depends on the role of the group or individual, and their current level of competence. As an example, our mentoring service for individuals new to the role of FRM manager enables them to:
- Have a clear understanding of the intent of the relevant regulations for fatigue risk management, and how this should be met in their specific operation
- Implement a fatigue reporting system, including fatigue report design, feedback to staff members, database design, and the calculation of meaningful metrics relating to fatigue hazards
- Conduct schedule analysis using a bio-mathematical fatigue model, to identify causes of fatigue in the operation, and to obtain an overview of schedule-related fatigue hazards
- Complete a systematic assessment of the role of fatigue in events
- Conduct fatigue surveys, including question design, administration and analysis
- Manage Fatigue Safety Advisory Group (FSAG) meetings
- Identify mitigators for fatigue hazards
- Engage with senior management regarding fatigue hazards and necessary mitigations
Part of our Fatigue Risk Management Portfolio
Part of our suite of Fatigue Risk Management Training and Consultancy Services, our mentoring service is ideal for organisations where FRM experience is immature. It recognises that safety professionals in an organisation need to develop specialised competence if the organisation’s FRM is to thrive and deliver benefit. We offer this support as a stand-alone service, but it is most effective when it forms part of an organisation’s journey from understanding FRM to learning how to apply the principles for performance improvement.